Elizabeth Olsen Felt 'Frustrated' With MCU Contract, Had To Turn Down Oscar-Nominated Roles

Elizabeth Olsen Felt 'Frustrated' With MCU Contract, Had To Turn Down Oscar-Nominated Roles

Elizabeth Olsen Felt 'Frustrated' With MCU Contract, Had To Turn Down Oscar-Nominated Roles


"I had this job security, but I was losing these pieces that I felt were more of a part of me."
“I started to get frustrated,” Olsen told The New York Times about being locked into a Marvel contract. “I had this job security but I was losing these pieces that I felt were more of a part of me. And the further away I got from that, the less I was considered for it.”
He also reads: How Elizabeth Olsen discovered her powers
Olsen previously called losing "The Lobster" a "heartbreak," explaining at the 2015 American Film Festival (via Variety) that she was "on a contract [for Marvel] I couldn't get out of. So that didn't work."
Olsen made her feature film debut in 2011, with back-to-back Sundance premieres of "Silent House" and "Martha Marcy May Marlene." Dubbed an immediate independent darling, Olsen starred in "Ingrid Goes West" and "Wind River" as she became more entrenched in the Marvel universe.

“She took me away from being physically able to do certain jobs that I thought were more in line with things that I enjoyed as an audience member,” Ella Olsen told NYT about the MCU. "And this is me being the most honest."

However, Olsen decided to sign on to the Disney+ series “WandaVision” after fulfilling her three-movie deal with Marvel at the end of “Avengers: Infinity War.”

"The power to choose to continue was important to me," Olsen explained, saying the series had a new kind of "freedom" within the MCU.

"We thought what we were doing was very strange and we didn't know if we had an audience for it, so there was freedom," Olsen added. “There was no pressure, no fear. It was a really healthy experience.”

And after "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," which again leaves Wanda's fate wide open, Olsen is considering a standalone movie.

"I think she would," she said. “But it really has to be a good story. I think these movies are better when it's not about creating content, but about having a very strong point of view, not because you need to have a three-movie plan."

Olsen previously defended Marvel's brand of storytelling in The Independent.

"I'm not saying we're doing independent art films, but I think that detracts from our team, which annoys me," Ella Olsen said. “From an actor's point of view, whatever it is, I get it; I totally get that there's a different kind of acting going on. But I do think that throwing Marvel under the bus takes away the hundreds of very talented people on the team. That's where I get a little aggressive with it."

Post a Comment

0 Comments